
I want to take a moment and share my thoughts on someone very special to me. His name is Father Ron Camarda, and because of him I have had the most amazing year! One year ago on 2 March 2007, I had knee surgery and found myself with way too much time on my hands to think while I was recovering. I began to think about the (2) Marines I had escorted in 2004 that were killed in Fallujah. I wondered how their families were doing and really wanted to have some closure. I needed to know that they were ok. I sat at home by myself recovering and decided to immerse myself in their memory. I began to look them up on the internet and read about them again. I tried to find ways to contact their families. Before I knew it I had spent several hours, days, on the computer reading about them. I felt like I knew them. Their names are SSgt David G. Ries KIA 8 Nov 2004 and Cpl Shane E. Kielion KIA 15 Nov 2004.
I had tried to mail some things to Amanda, David's wife, after his death, but they were returned address unknown. I sent a card and letter for the one year anniversary of his death, but it was also returned. I had signed an internet guest book for David and put my email address on it. I had asked Amanda to give me her address because I wanted to send her some things. I didn't know it, but in my search for her-she had already written me an email in January-2 months prior. God was on my side. I responded to Amanda and began to talk with her. 1 1/2 weeks later, I was on a plane to go visit her and the kids, Camryn and Bailey. I was so excited to actually spend time with them-especially under different circumstances. They were so welcoming and wonderful! I had a wonderful time and didn't want to leave. I was happy that they were doing so well.
As I mentioned before, I was also searching for a way to reach April, Shane's wife. Shane's homecoming was not as I had wanted it, but was out of my control. The way that his reunion went with his family haunted me for years. I felt so terrible and really wanted the chance to explain what happened from my perspective and to let them know that I was truly sorry. In reading about Shane, I found an article that he was mentioned in written about Father Ron Camarda, a Navy Chaplain assigned to Bravo Surgical Company in Fallujah in 2004. The article is entitled, "The Best Christmas Ever" and it talked about Shane and how Father Ron was there when he died. I was so taken back and wanted to know more. The article was so touching and awe inspiring. I started searching for Father Ron and found that he had signed an online memorial guest book for Shane. Below his entry there was a link that said, "Contact Me". I clicked it and sent Father Ron an email thanking him and longing to hear more. I explained to him that I was Shane's escort and was very touched by his writing. He said he was writing a book but that it wasn't finished. He sent it to me to read. I could not stop reading albeit difficult reading on the computer. Nevertheless it was 200+ pages of raw emotion and deep love for God in the midst of what some would call hell on earth. Despite all of the death and destruction that Father Ron witnessed during his time in Iraq, he was still able to say "God is good...all the time". I was softened by his outlook and moved beyond words. I began emailing him about my absence from the church and about my previous desires to become a Religious.
I felt a connection with Father Ron though never having met him or spoken with him. His outlook and submission to the loving Will of God made me feel like I could let go of the anger I had towards God for the war and the lives lost. If he could remain faithful and courageous in his mission, then surely I could let go. So, after emailing Father Ron with thanks-I decided at 11:30 on Sunday 8 April 2007 that I would go back to church...it was Easter. I looked up the Catholic church that I had gone to once when I first moved to Virginia and saw they had a 1230 Mass. I got ready and out the door I went. I got to the church 45 minutes before the Mass...plenty of time to reaquaint myself with my God. That is excatly where I was supposed to be at that moment.
If it hadn't been for Father Ron, I don't think I would have had the courage to return...atleast not then. God put him into my life to bring me back to Him. God sent me to bring David and Shane home to soften my heart. It is through them that I found Father Ron, and through Father Ron that I found peace. I am so thankful. God be praised. To Him be Glory forever and ever!
Thank you David, Shane, Amanda, Camryn, Bailey, April, Shane JR, and Father Ron! I love you all with all that I am.
In loving service,
Christie
PS: You can buy Father Ron's book "Tear in the Desert" at www.lulu.com. Enter CAMARDA in the search block and you will see it. Do yourself a favor and read it...you won't regret it!
I had tried to mail some things to Amanda, David's wife, after his death, but they were returned address unknown. I sent a card and letter for the one year anniversary of his death, but it was also returned. I had signed an internet guest book for David and put my email address on it. I had asked Amanda to give me her address because I wanted to send her some things. I didn't know it, but in my search for her-she had already written me an email in January-2 months prior. God was on my side. I responded to Amanda and began to talk with her. 1 1/2 weeks later, I was on a plane to go visit her and the kids, Camryn and Bailey. I was so excited to actually spend time with them-especially under different circumstances. They were so welcoming and wonderful! I had a wonderful time and didn't want to leave. I was happy that they were doing so well.
As I mentioned before, I was also searching for a way to reach April, Shane's wife. Shane's homecoming was not as I had wanted it, but was out of my control. The way that his reunion went with his family haunted me for years. I felt so terrible and really wanted the chance to explain what happened from my perspective and to let them know that I was truly sorry. In reading about Shane, I found an article that he was mentioned in written about Father Ron Camarda, a Navy Chaplain assigned to Bravo Surgical Company in Fallujah in 2004. The article is entitled, "The Best Christmas Ever" and it talked about Shane and how Father Ron was there when he died. I was so taken back and wanted to know more. The article was so touching and awe inspiring. I started searching for Father Ron and found that he had signed an online memorial guest book for Shane. Below his entry there was a link that said, "Contact Me". I clicked it and sent Father Ron an email thanking him and longing to hear more. I explained to him that I was Shane's escort and was very touched by his writing. He said he was writing a book but that it wasn't finished. He sent it to me to read. I could not stop reading albeit difficult reading on the computer. Nevertheless it was 200+ pages of raw emotion and deep love for God in the midst of what some would call hell on earth. Despite all of the death and destruction that Father Ron witnessed during his time in Iraq, he was still able to say "God is good...all the time". I was softened by his outlook and moved beyond words. I began emailing him about my absence from the church and about my previous desires to become a Religious.
I felt a connection with Father Ron though never having met him or spoken with him. His outlook and submission to the loving Will of God made me feel like I could let go of the anger I had towards God for the war and the lives lost. If he could remain faithful and courageous in his mission, then surely I could let go. So, after emailing Father Ron with thanks-I decided at 11:30 on Sunday 8 April 2007 that I would go back to church...it was Easter. I looked up the Catholic church that I had gone to once when I first moved to Virginia and saw they had a 1230 Mass. I got ready and out the door I went. I got to the church 45 minutes before the Mass...plenty of time to reaquaint myself with my God. That is excatly where I was supposed to be at that moment.
If it hadn't been for Father Ron, I don't think I would have had the courage to return...atleast not then. God put him into my life to bring me back to Him. God sent me to bring David and Shane home to soften my heart. It is through them that I found Father Ron, and through Father Ron that I found peace. I am so thankful. God be praised. To Him be Glory forever and ever!
Thank you David, Shane, Amanda, Camryn, Bailey, April, Shane JR, and Father Ron! I love you all with all that I am.
In loving service,
Christie
PS: You can buy Father Ron's book "Tear in the Desert" at www.lulu.com. Enter CAMARDA in the search block and you will see it. Do yourself a favor and read it...you won't regret it!
1 comment:
I have met Fr. Ron, and I have read his book. I think he is one of the most amazing spiritual men I have ever known of.
I highly recomend his book to anyone.
Post a Comment